Saturday, January 16, 2010

Wild Horse Press Authors Tell Tales

Who knows a house better then the authors writing for it? So I got myself three of WHP's authors and here is what happened. TL Mitchell, Paige Warren, and Jessica Coulter-Smith sat down with me for a little girl talk.

Terry Kate: So what makes Wild Horse Press a good match for you and your books?

TL Mitchell: The professional quality of their work. The one on one attention you receive from the publisher and editor. As an author you have to feel confident in your publisher. WHP stands behind the work they publish and their authors. This is why I believe they are a good match for me and my books.

Jessica: I like the one on one attention I get from my editor. She makes it a pleasant experience regardless of what news she has to impart. I feel like there's a personal touch that doesn't exist at some of the larger companies.


TK: What attracted you guys initially to WHP?

Jessica: The fact that they were new ... I felt that a small, new company would be able to focus more attention on my books.

Paige Warren: I went to The Passionate Pen and looked over the information they had available. I went to probably 20 publisher sites. In the end, a friend recommended Wild Horse Press to me. As a new author, starting out with a small company held a lot of appeal. I felt like I would be treated more as a person than just another author.

TLM: Wild Horse Press came highly recommended to me by a friend. As a new author, I needed a company who would help guide me and work with me for a long term career in writing. I have found WHP not only to be helpful, but go the extra mile when it comes to their authors.

TK: As an author what do you feel the publisher's duty is?

TLM: First and far most, a publisher's main duty is provide quality work into book format. By quality, I mean specifically reviewing for content, providing stories of excellent quality to readers, providing excellent editing and over all quality of book covers, formats and printing. It is an added plus to have a publisher who is easy to contact and actually works with their authors. I have found all these qualities within the walls of Wild Horse Press.

TK: So new was not scary? What if they had gone under? What convinced you to take the chance with Wild Horse Publishing?

Jessica: If they had gone under, then the rights would have reverted to me and I would have sent my books elsewhere. New was actually exciting. I got a chance to grow with the company.

Paige: It definitely gave me a chance to grow with the company, but I figured they were taking just as much of a chance on me as I was with them. I was an unknown author who hadn't been previously published.

TK: Any final statements ladies?

Paige: I have been highly satisfied with my decision to publish with Wild Horse Press.  They've paid for advertising, paid for promo items, and have given examples of how to best market myself.  Overall, I've been very comfortable with them and haven't at any time felt they weren't giving me 110%.  If I had it all to do over again, I'd still choose them as my publisher.

TLM: I have been extremely happy with my choice to publish my new series with Wild Horse Press. The professional quality of their books is surprising for a new company. I look forward to working with them for many years to come. My only regret, I wish I could have found them when I first started looking for a publisher.

RITBS's Interview with Senior Editor Charlene Kyle-Davis - HERE

Don't miss RITBS's interview with WildHorse Press Publisher J.M. Smith - HERE

1 Comments:

Blogger Charlie Kenmore said...

As an aspiring author shopping a first book (Encouraging rejections 1, Book 0), the number of publisher sites is both encouraging and daunting. After reviewing a number of submission guidelines, I found several potential publishers where the book could fit. But I have no way of telling what I can expect when I find the one that is interested. This type of "consumer oriented" information that goes beyond mere submission guidelines, is very helpful as a jumping off point.

Charlie Kenmore

January 17, 2010 at 7:43 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home