Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Feature on The Wild Horse Press with J.M. Smith


Terry Kate: Okay readers, writers, and anyone else interested. Today I get to invite you to get ON the back and take a seat in the saddle for my interview with the owner of Wild Horse Press, J.M. Smith. I know, horseback interviewing is new to me too, but no cars today.

J.M. Smith: :) Cute... as an avid horse fan, I love the intro. But then if I weren't crazy about horses I wouldn't have named my company Wild Horse Press.

TK: That is what my beautiful buckskin mustang and I thought. So tell us a little about Wild Horse Press. What is 2010 looking like for you guys?

WHP: 2010 is looking fantastic so far! :) We have submissions coming in weekly and already have releases set up through the end of March, as well as one or two parts of a series scheduled through the end of the year. We're actually celebrating our anniversary this month and are offering all of our titles at 30% off over at All Romance Ebooks for the two weeks of the month. (check it out here -
http://allromanceebooks.com/storeSearch.html?searchBy=publisher&qString=Wild+Horse+Press)

 
Oh Sales! I love sales.So tell all the little shoppers out there what kind of books can we find being released with your house, and how many purchasing opportunities do we get a month?

WHP: Most of our titles are split between paranormal romance and contemporary romance, ranging from sweet to erotic. Our titles are available at All Romance Ebooks, Amazon Kindle, our website, and Coffee Time Romance. The sale, however, is only at All Romance Ebooks. We also offer titles in paperback through Amazon and Target websites. As part of our anniversary celebration, we're giving away a tote bag of goodies, including a 10% coupon for any of our paperback titles. To enter, all you need to do is email wildhorsepress@gmail.com with the subject ANNIVERSARY DRAWING with your info. A name will be drawn on January 15th.

TK: So how many titles do you put out a month?

WHP: We typically release two titles per month. Every now and then we schedule a 3rd title. It really just depends on how long the titles are. Since we release everything from short stories to full length novels, there may be times when we release two short stories and a full-length just because we had more time to edit them.

TK: How many editors do you have reading submissions?

WHP: We have two editors, but I also edit on occasion. If we have a lot of titles that need a little more work (rewrites), then I usually help out so the editors can focus on getting the books ready for publication.

 TK: You mentioned moving into the Young Adult or YA market can you share a little more about that?


WHP: We released two YA paranormal romances in 2009 from Linda Palmer, a previous Silhouette writer. In 2010 we will be adding another author, Jessica Coulter Smith, to our YA line with another paranormal romance. The YA books have done well and we look forward to future YA submissions for 2010.

TK: What are you doing to reach out to teen readers?

WHP: We have requested reviews from sites that lean more to the YA audience as well as joining group chats for that particular genre. As the YA area is new to us, we're kind of learning as we go. We also get input on our YA titles from YA readers to see which parts work for them and which ones don't.

TK: What is the appeal, I read YA myself and enjoy it greatly, why do you think so many are getting on the bandwagon?

   WHP: Well, for me, it allows me to relive my teen years without actually having to go through it all again. And I think alot of the adult books are starting to sound the same. There are a lot of new YA authors out there giving the genre a new feel to it. They also seem to do well blending humor, suspense, and teen angst all into one book.

TK: Not sure teen angst is something I miss myself.

WHP: :) Well, I wouldn't say I miss the angst part, but I guess it's nice to read it from another perspective. Not to mention it always turns out okay in the end. Plus I think a lot of teen readers can connect better with the today's YA books than they have in the past. Even teens who have claimed to not like reading are now flocking to the bookstores.


TK: Yes they do tend to run in herds. :)    J, I can not thank you enough for your time and the look at Wild Horse Publishing

WHP: Thank you for having me. :) It's been a pleasure chatting with you.


Visit The Wild Horse Press http://www.the-wild-horse-press.com/

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home