Saturday, January 16, 2010

Interview with Senior Editor Charlene Kyle-Davis


Okay, I do not want to show favoritism to any one press but I do love to interview people from the Wild Horse Press, because instead of getting to say I am in the Backseat I get to say I am seated on the back or my buckskin mustang.  So much more fun and my trail riding partner today is the Senior Editor for the Wild Horse Press Charlene Kyle-Davis.   Lets jump on in then - what made you decide to become an editor?

Charlene: A very dear friend of mine was writing her first novel and asked me to review her manuscript.  So, one novel turned into two, three & four novels.

TK: What really catches your eye as an editor? What makes an author a good match for WHP?

CKD: I look for unique qualities and originality in a novel. That's what makes WHP so special to me. You never know what's going to come next.  I grew up reading all types of romance novels. The one pet peeve I have is when I can predict the events of a story. I found myself skipping ahead or starting in the middle of a book. WHP broke me of this habit.

TK: So predictable bad, interesting and unpredictable good?

CKD: Oh Yes!

TK: How much of your time is spent looking through new submissions and is there something that immediately catches your eye?

CKD: About 15% of my time. I am not the only editor that reviews our new submissions. Lately, most of our submissions have been from current authors. I first review for a solid and interesting story line with good character development.

TK: What themes interest you? I mean other then love - Romance has a love story.

CKD: Paranormal filled with action and suspense. If a bit of sci-fi is thrown in on the side, I'm great!  One of our newer novels, Dark of kNight has a hint of sci-fi.

TK: Why do you think the paranormal is so popular? Is it just a great escape?

CKD: Actually, paranormal has always been popular. So, I don't believe this is a trend. You're also talking with a woman who grew up in Sleepy Hollow. LOL. I'm not sure if it's the whole bad boy with a good side fixation that we can sometimes find ourselves looking for in our own lives. Or maybe it's more a thirst and our hearts desire for adventure.

Personally, the thrill of a new adventure is what drives me.   It is definitely an escape for so many.   I'm finding that so many people are under various kinds of stress, from health problems, relationship issues to financial burdens. Everyone needs a get away from time to time.

TK: I have heard rumors of the rise of Sci-fi, any thoughts?

CKD: The whole Sci-fi/Fantasy interest has been around for a few generations and started when we were just children.  Then we grow up and the fasination with Sci-fi and Fantasy remained.  So, supply and demand calls for a shift.  Look at some of the popular movies that have come out over the years. I've been a Sci-fi buff since I was a little girl, when I was introduced to "The Crystal Singer" by Anne McCaffrey.

TK: ah the good old days, reading fantasy - till I realized there just was not enough sex in them and I jumped ship.

CKD: FOFLOL   I love it! I know and now we can have both! Victory!

TK: Well Charlene - Thank you so much for the company and info on this
morning ride! It has been a blast!

Charlene: Thank you. Have a good day and I hope we will speak again soon.

Don't miss RITBS's interview with WildHorse Press Publisher J.M. Smith - HERE

Visit the Wild Horse Press Website to Find Out More

Labels: , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Margie Church said...

Terry, Thanks for organizing this blog topic. I think this is a really valuable subject. Many authors keep getting rejections. Perhaps some of these publishers can offer insights about what might be a "deal breaker" with a submission. I think trends are great to know about, too. I will definitely be watching for updates.

January 16, 2010 at 6:01 PM  
Anonymous Terry Kate said...

Hi Margie,
This is just an observation from my experiences, sometimes it is hard to know what Publisher will be a good match for what you write. That can be the trickiest thing because if you and the editor getting your work are not a match - that often turns out to be a rejection.
Terry Kate

January 17, 2010 at 6:59 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home